Wednesday, August 19, 2009

MASS Ride the Rocks

This past Sunday was a Mid Atlantic super Series race up in PA. Not having raced since a spectacular blowup in WV, i decided i should get back to racing before some big races hit this late summer and fall. The race was called "Ride the Rocks" and was to feature "substantial climbing" This was laughed at my myself and fellow racer Ryan F, as Harrisonburg would surely embarrass any race course with these claims.

With a stacked Elite field and temperatures in the 90s we started at around 12:30. It would be two 10 mile laps or the rockiest terrain i have ever raced on. Not large rocks mind you, just small ones that constantly jar your whole body. Uphills as well, filled with rocks. I had decided to try pacing myself here after the blowup, a sort of test to see if pacing is real.

Well, i started the race feeling pretty sluggish, and slowly picked up speed. My seconds lap was slower than my first, but not a huge difference. 3 minutes or so. I usually drop a bit more than that in the last lap, but even if i fell 5 minutes off pace in the last lap, my first lap effort is that much faster. So the jury is sort of out on that one, but i caught some guys on the last lap!

So 9th place. I will take it against that field. Some good payout, and some racing to get me ready for the next few weekends!

No comments: